Most visitors begin their tour of Pitmuies in the first walled garden which provides fruit and vegetables for the house.Here some very old apple and pear trees have been joined by two quinces.
Landscape and Gardens
A Pictish stone cross slab bears witness to an earlier period of habitation and the name Muies is reputed to be that of a viking raider who was killed here. The great trees, from the magnificent Spanish chestnuts on the lawn and the beeches and hornbeams give a story of more peaceful times and the creation of a designed landscape that makes a fine setting for an interesting group of listed building. The Ha-ha wall that separates park from lawn in front of the house was built in recent years from stone acquired after the demolition of Guthrie Station.
The walled garden was already in existence by 1780, at about which time the public road was diverted from the front of the house to its present position. The sundial in the garden which bears, beneath the lichen the initials R.P Esq is a reminder of a previous owner, Mr Pierson who died in 1763. The foundation of the present garden were probably laid out in Victorian times. Major Crombie, who bought Pitmuies in 1919, re-created the garden and planted the superb delphiniums for which the garden became well-known, and which were exhibited in London and various shows where they won prizes. When Major and Mrs Ogilvie bought Pitmuies in 1945 they continued to improve and add to the garden and policies, planting many shrubs and trees. It was inherited by their son Farquhar, who, with his wife, in 1968 carried out various alterations to the house and to the link the garden and drawing room by the octagonal conservatory which was designed by Mr Schomberg Scott. The white wrought iron gates in the walled garden were to commemorate their silver wedding in 1982, but tragically he died before they were installed. The trellis work at the bottom of garden, the tree planting and the urn on the paved area have been given to the garden as memorials to him.
Through the gate at the foot of the garden is a small meadow, formerly a drying and bleaching green for the chapel-like “gothick” wash-house, built over 200 years ago.
Pitmuies has known three periods – the first of a house recorded in the late 1500s. Remains of that house, with its worn stone spiral staircase faces south over the garden. The grander west facing front is believed to date from 1680's .