Most visitors begin their tour of Pitmuies in the first walled garden which provides fruit and vegetables for the house.Here some very old apple and pear trees have been joined by two quinces.
This rather grand name refers to the narrow strip of land between the man-made channel of the Turbie Burn and the course of the Vinny Water beyond. Stately beech and lime trees shade the riverside walk which is overlooked by an unusual turreted doo’cot.
On this building, a very worn and carved stone bore the Ogilvy and Guthrie arms, and the date 1643. One of the turrets served as a feed-store for pigeons which once occupied the hundreds of nest boxes which line the inside of the buildings. In front, in the early part of the year, are a mass of snowdrops and aconites.
Through the gate at the foot of the garden is a small meadow, formerly a drying and bleaching green for the chapel-like “gothick” wash-house, built over 200 years ago.
Pitmuies has known three periods – the first of a house recorded in the late 1500s. Remains of that house, with its worn stone spiral staircase faces south over the garden. The grander west facing front is believed to date from 1680's .