The Alpine Meadow

Through the gate at the foot of the garden is a small meadow, formerly a drying and bleaching green for the chapel-like “gothick” wash-house, built over 200 years ago. Autumn mowing ensures a fine spring display of snowdrops and purple and white crocus which have naturalised.

By midsummer it is a wildflower meadow  with shrub roses along the terrace walk. A path leads across the meadow towards the river and a white painted wooden bridge.

The Gardens

Most visitors begin their tour of Pitmuies in the first walled garden which provides fruit and vegetables for the house.Here some very old apple and pear trees have been joined by two quinces.

View the Gardens

Garden Walks

Through the gate at the foot of the garden is a small meadow, formerly a drying and bleaching green for the chapel-like “gothick” wash-house, built over 200 years ago.

View the Gardens

Our History

Pitmuies has known three periods – the first of a house recorded in the late 1500s. Remains of that house, with its worn stone spiral staircase faces south over the garden. The grander west facing front is believed to date from 1680's .

About our history
Pitmuies Gardens are open daily from 1st April until 31st October, 10am - 5pm