Most visitors begin their tour of Pitmuies in the first walled garden which provides fruit and vegetables for the house.Here some very old apple and pear trees have been joined by two quinces.
The Woodland Garden
This area of the grounds lies to the far side of the Bridge carrying the road over the east drive.
It is an acid, marshy hollow once dominated by impenetrable Rhododendron ponticum that has been gradually cleared and planted with moisture loving plants and trees. Sheltered and shady, though a “frost pocket” it has some fine large conifers.
Developed since the 1980’s it now seems to be flourishing and has carpets of snowdrops in early Spring. There is a path up to the white gate, road and carpark. Beware of passing traffic on the road.
Through the gate at the foot of the garden is a small meadow, formerly a drying and bleaching green for the chapel-like “gothick” wash-house, built over 200 years ago.
Pitmuies has known three periods – the first of a house recorded in the late 1500s. Remains of that house, with its worn stone spiral staircase faces south over the garden. The grander west facing front is believed to date from 1680's .