Most visitors begin their tour of Pitmuies in the first walled garden which provides fruit and vegetables for the house.Here some very old apple and pear trees have been joined by two quinces.
Most visitors begin their tour of Pitmuies in the first walled garden which provides fruit and vegetables for the house. Here some very old apple and pear trees have been joined by two quinces.
A formal “potager” in which flowers, herbs and vegetables are mixed together with a wooden trellis on which honeysuckle, climbing roses and shrubs are trained.
Borders round the edge of the garden are devoted to different themes, tender shrubs, shade loving plants and now magnolias which flourish and flower magnificently in this sheltered area. Below, in Spring, are carpets of small bulbs and a large collection of hellebores.
The green house is remarkable for its rampant pink passion flower, while the main path leads on past “cottage garden” borders to the white iron gates and the larger flower garden which lies ahead.
Through the gate at the foot of the garden is a small meadow, formerly a drying and bleaching green for the chapel-like “gothick” wash-house, built over 200 years ago.
Pitmuies has known three periods – the first of a house recorded in the late 1500s. Remains of that house, with its worn stone spiral staircase faces south over the garden. The grander west facing front is believed to date from 1680's .