Most visitors begin their tour of Pitmuies in the first walled garden which provides fruit and vegetables for the house.Here some very old apple and pear trees have been joined by two quinces.
Over the last four hundred years Pitmuies has known several different owners before it was bought by Major and Mrs. Douglas Ogilvie in 1945 and so the name returned to the property. It was later inherited by their son Farquhar, who, with this wife Margaret, made further alterations. Farquhar Ogilvie died in 1983. Margaret Ogilvie whose childhood home was Castlewellan in County Down, now the national Arboretum in Northern Ireland did much to develop the gardens. Their son, Ruaraidh, moved into Pitmuies with his family in 2013. His wife, Jeanette, continues to develop and enhance the Gardens. Pitmuies has had links with Scotland's Gardens for more than 80 years.
Through the gate at the foot of the garden is a small meadow, formerly a drying and bleaching green for the chapel-like “gothick” wash-house, built over 200 years ago.
Pitmuies has known three periods – the first of a house recorded in the late 1500s. Remains of that house, with its worn stone spiral staircase faces south over the garden. The grander west facing front is believed to date from 1680's .