Pitmuies has known three periods – the first of a house recorded in the late 1500s leading to references of the Ogilvie/Guthrie marriage, Guthrie castle lies adjacent northwards. Remains of that house, with its worn stone spiral staircase faces south over the garden. The grander west facing front is believed to date from 1680’s.
Pitmuies was modernised to the 18th century standards some hundred years later when the two pavilions were added, one a music room and one a library. Also the ionic pillared porch and alterations to the windows were deemed necessary. The arched entrance into the courtyard carries date stones of 1770 and 1820.
Much of the known history of Pitmuies seems to revolve around the former ford by the doo’cot. It was here that Mr Carnegy of Lour in 1734 fell from his horse and came into Pitmuies to dry his clothes. Mr Ogilvy had died leaving three young children and a widow, Margaret. She married Mr Carnegy in 1744 and went with him to live at Lour and her son inherited Pitmuies.
Disputes over the use of the ford, and an increasing traffic of carts and travellers passing the front windows of the house, led to an eventual lawsuit over the rights of way, with the Lyells of Gardyne.
The Ogilvy heir who had inherited Pitmuies had gone abroad and died bankrupt leaving his affairs in such a state of disorder that the place had to be sold. Its new owner Mr Pierson, only lived in it for two years, dying in 1763.
In 1768 a new period of building and planting began with a new owner Mr James Mudie. It was he who won the lawsuit which resulted in the road, and ultimately the bridges, being constructed behind the house and garden, and who built the cottages and range of farm buildings to the north. All these buildings are scarcely changed today, and have date stones of the 1770’s period. There is a weathervane with the Mudie initials I.M. and the date 1773. The dog kennels and potting shed have date stones 1775.
There were three generations of Mudies, the last leaving Pitmuies to his friend and relation, Lord Lyell in 1877. Lord Lyell living at Kinnordy near Kirriemuir, let the house and grass parks to a succession of tenants until 1919, when the property was sold to Major Crombie. Major and Mrs Douglas Ogilvie bought the property in 1945.