Over the last four hundred years Pitmuies has known several different owners before it was bought by Major and Mrs Douglas Ogilvie in 1945 and so the name returned to the property. It was later inherited by their son Farquhar, whose wife Marguerite made further alterations. Farquhar Ogilvie died in 1983. Marguerite, whose childhood home was Castlewellan in County Down, now the national Arboretum In Northern Ireland, did much to develop the gardens. Their son, Ruaraidh, moved into Pitmuies with his family in 2013. His wife, Jeanette, continues to develop and enhance the Gardens. Pitmuies has had links with Scotland’s Gardens Scheme for more than 80 years.