The gardens at Pitmuies are world renowned. They are believed to date back to the eighteenth century and the garden walls are shown on a map of 1814. They have been greatly enhanced and developed since the 1920’s, and were one of the first gardens to open to the public through Scotland’s Gardens Scheme in 1931, with garden open days continuing up until 1982. Since 1984 the gardens have been opened on a daily basis, now from April to September. The income from our visitors helps to maintain and enhance the gardens, together with a charitable contribution to Scotland’s Gardens Scheme.
The garden have been featured regularly in books, magazines, newspaper articles and on television. They are renowned not just for an extensive and diverse collection of plants within the gardens but also for their sense of tranquillity and for the walks in the grounds which surround the historic and architecturally important grouping of buildings including the house, steading, wash house and doo’cot. Together they are listed in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland.
A recent article on the garden described how the show stopping borders are a magnet for photographers and the editors of glossy magazines and of course visitors from around the world.
Pitmuies is a magical garden because every day there is something new to see. In early Spring there are masses of spring bulbs. By May the main garden starts to take form with its subtle colours suggesting what is to come. It is perhaps one of the loveliest times in the garden, whilst by July the borders and the rose garden are at their zenith. Then as Autumn approaches the surrounding trees have splendid colour.